Thursday, January 23, 2014

Lamp Makeover for Master Bedroom

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download

Ive been looking for a pair of lamps or one to go with the existing lamp in the bedroom for a while now. Home Goods used to be my go to source for lamps when we lived in Tennessee, but since California doesnt have one, I have been out of luck.

All of the lamps that I like are $100 and up, I dont mind investing in a good quality lamp, but since we will be most likely moving every 2 -5 years for Davids job, and only get a limited amount of weight covered in a move - it makes sense hold off on more expensive pieces until we have a more permanent home.

I plan to sell a lot of furniture/accessories prior to moving to reduce weight ... and if they dont sell - I wont have to worry about expensive things getting broken by the movers! 

Enter the lamps that I found on Craigslist for $5 each


In need of a little - okay A LOT of updating! but they have a good shape and nothing that a can of spray paint and new lamp shades cant fix


 I scuffed up the metal and with steel wool and taped off the top and cord


 Sprayed with primer - let dry for about an hour - lightly sanded with extra fine sandpaper (320 grit) - wiped off with a microfiber cloth

I then sprayed it with RustOleum - Ivory Bisque - Semi Gloss (two coats - allowing to dry about 45 minutes in between)

via
I finished with a protective clear coat in gloss

I had already purchased lampshades a while back - so after I put those on they were ready to go!


It is amazing what a little spray paint and a new shade can do - they look completely different!

and lastly, Annabelle checking out the dresser that we picked up over the weekend for $15 - Ive been looking a while for another dresser for the other side of the bed with no luck - it is too short so last night David made it taller so that it would be the same height as the other dresser. He also fixed the drawer. 

for $25 - Craigslist pulled through this weekend - now the bedroom is almost done. After I finish the dresser and swap the overhead light, it will be complete!


This post doesnt address any of the projects that I talked about on Friday - but they are still in the works and I promise to share photos when there are updates - too many project too little time!

Today I will be painting this dresser - check back to see updates and to see how we made it taller!

TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment